Pages

Monday 27 November 2017

Kaikoura Earthquake

A year on from the Kaikoura Earthquake said to be a 7.8 quake, the town's harbour was re-opened and ceremonies were held, parts of the South island are more than 5m closer to the North island.  New research was also revealed.

A study led by GNS is being published in the Journal Science.
The roads were crushed and drivers were unable to get to the town’s harbour before it reopened around the months  December to February

The Earthquake occurred on the 14th of November 2016 at exactly 11:02 PM.

From Kaikoura to Cape Campbell, the Earth was pushed closer to the North Island, as well as several metres higher in various places.

The Earthquake ruptured along a record 21 faultlines.At Least 12 major crustal faults were involved, as well as nine lesser faults.

It’s now reopened and as normal as it used to be apart from the cracks and ruptures it made.

By Ruby and Kaleece.


This is a news report I wrote with my friend with Kaleece. It's about Kaikoura Earthquake

2 comments:

  1. Ata marie Ruby!

    Welcome to the summer learning journey for 2017. It’s great to have you join us. My name is Cadence and I will be working with your cluster this summer.

    Wow, I loved reading your news report! You have used some fantastic words in your writing like various, ruptures, and revealed. Awesome work! I also like how you have organised your writing into paragraphs. Looks like the perfect news report! I’m really interested to read another news report. Maybe you could write another one to update your readers on how Kaikoura is doing today. You would make a fantastic Journalist!

    Here is a quick reminder of how to access the Summer Learning Journey site. Copy and paste the link below into your URL.
    https://sites.google.com/site/summerlearningjourney/weekly-activities

    Read the activity then head on over to your own personal blog. Don’t forget the bonus tasks to earn extra points. There are fantastic prizes are up for grabs! Remember, you don’t have to post in any particular order.

    To check out your classmate’s blogs copy this link for the live feeds. Happy blogging!
    https://sites.google.com/a/manaiakalani.org/connected-learners-share/sljtwitterfeeds

    Looking forward to reading your blog posts!

    Cadence :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Cadence,
      Sorry I didn't post anything. I don't remember signing up. I'm really sorry I didn't do the Summer Learning journey. Thanks so much for your comment. I had a little help with my News Report.
      Ruby :)

      Delete